Washington, Governor of Florida state Rick Scott on Saturday urged the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to resign in the wake of the agency’s admission that it failed to follow up on an earlier tip over the shooter who killed 17 people in a Florida high school.
“The FBI’s failure to take action against this killer is unacceptable,” Scott said in a statement.
The remarks were in response to an FBI statement released on Friday, which acknowledged that the law enforcement agency received a tip in January on Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old shooter, but failed to act, Xinhua reported.
“Seventeen innocent people are dead and acknowledging a mistake isn’t going to cut it,” Scott said. “An apology will never bring these 17 Floridians back to life or comfort the families who are in pain.”
“The FBI Director needs to resign,” the Governor said.
The FBI said earlier that a person close to the shooter called the agency’s tip line on January 5 to warn about “Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behaviour, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.”
The agency said that protocols were not followed for the tip, therefore, the information was not provided to local authorities, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.
FBI Director Christopher Wray said that they are “still investigating the facts.”